Welcome to the World of Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewelry

Starting this blog is something that has been put off until I got the store, www.JDKellyJewlery.com, just right. My sincere hope is that I can spark some discussion and we can share thoughts and information about jewelry and artisanship. Thank you for stopping by.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

In the Beginning

How does one get started in the jewelry business anyway?

I had a hobby that dealt with woodworking and carving. I had been doing that for man, many years. My late stepfather, Jim Hall, had started fooling around with polymer clay creations a few years back and then begun making jewelry with it. When he passed away in 2009, my sister and I were talking about his passion for making and selling things and I got the notion to try polymer clay.

I read up on the basics and compared notes and visited forums and became a "polymer clay information vacuum cleaner." After I was satisfied I had the information I needed I began making purchases of clay, some equipment, including a small toaster oven just for baking the polymer, books and DVDs.

My wife, always observant of my passions and ideas, kept an eye on me to make sure I didn't go overboard as I have a tendency to do at times.

One thing led to another including a lot of trial and error, practice, watching videos and experimenting with color, size and cooking time, and finally we made some things we could use for earrings and brooches. Jewelry requires something called "findings", which I later learned are all the pieces parts that go into making the end product; headpins, ear wire hooks, eyepins, bails, bead caps, jump rings, links and the list goes on.

As anyone who has hobbies or who is a business owner would do, I looked for a way to cut costs on these findings and make them myself where I could. Enter wire bending and silversmithing. I got a wire jig and boy did that start me off having some sore fingers, but it was fun renewed. My new friends were a chasing hammer and an anvil, along with some punches and miscellaneous tools (I love tools).

Last month, February, I opened up my first jewelry store and put it out there for all to see. Some I made and some made by others. And today I started this blog, although I have written posts on others like Home Jewelry Business Success Tips.

I will keep posting here and hope you folks will keep coming back and participate in the topics. We all benefit from it.

"Inquiring Minds Want to Know"
Doug Kelly
www.JDKellyJewelry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment